Towson Tigers Womens Basketball gets Automatic Bid into the NCAA Tournament
FINAL SCORE: Towson 53 Drexel 49
The Towson Tigers Nukiya Mayo, who scored a game high 20 points, and nailed a 16-foot jump shot with a minute left in the second half would put Towson ahead in the game. Drexel would try to claw back into the game late but, Towson’s Kionna Jeter would hit a step-back jumper over Drexel center Niki Metzel to seal the victory and begin the Towson Tigers celebration of Drexel.
Towson who ends the regular season and conference tournament with a 20-12 record will now sit and eagerly watch Selection Monday and the announcement of its place in the NCAA field.
Ticket PUNCHED 🐯🏀 pic.twitter.com/OYZP8Z89Qi— Towson Women's Hoops (@Towson_WBB) March 16, 2019
Here is the official press release:
HAIL TO THE TOWSON TIGERS
After being voted to finish eighth in the CAA Preseason Poll, your Tigers have been crowned conference champions for the first time in program history!
The 2019 NCAA tournament bracket will be revealed Monday, March 18. Towson will receive an automatic bid and make their first ever NCAA tournament appearance. The Tigers will look to add to their collection of accolades awarded thus far:
• Head Coach Diane Richardson was named 2019 CAA Coach of the Year
• Kionna Jeter was named to the All-CAA First Team and CAA All-Defensive Team
• Nukiya Mayo was named to the All-CAA Second Team and CAA All-Defensive Team
• Janeen Camp was named to the CAA All-Rookie Team
• Towson had it’s first winning season since 2011-12
• Most CAA wins since 2007-08 and highest CAA finish ever