It’s been a crazy few days and we’re catching up on all the action from the last several matches. Thursday brought more group round madness. Here’s what went down.
Denmark 1, Australia 1
- Denmark: Eriksen (7′)
- Australia: Jedinak (PK, 38′)
- Denmark: Poulsen (Yellow, 37′), Sisto (Yellow, 84′)
- Australia: None
- Denmark’s Yussuf Poulsen will be suspended for their next match against France due to yellow card accumulation.
A video assistant referee-awarded penalty helped the Aussies pull even late in the first half and salvage a point, as the second half produced scoreless soccer all around. The Australians led in shots and possessions, but were unable to capitalize on any of their opportunities to score a goal when they needed it late. Australia will face a must-win situation against Peru next round, while Denmark will face France, and can advance with a win, draw, or loss depending on Australia’s result.
France 1, Peru 0
- France: Mbappé (34′)
- Peru: N/A
- France: Matuidi (Yellow, 16′), Pogba (Yellow, 86′)
- Peru: Guerrero (Yellow, 23′), Aquino (Yellow, 81′)
Kylian Mbappé’s shot from right in from of the goal proved to be the difference as France officially secured their spot in the Round of 16. Peru won the possession battle, but France had more shots and better opportunities in general, as they held on to win. Meanwhile, Peru will find themselves out of the World Cup following their final group round match against Australia, as they have yet to score a point in the group stage.
Croatia 3, Argentina 0
- Croatia: Rebic (53′), Modric (80′), Rakitic (90+1′)
- Argentina: N/A
- Croatia: Rebic (Yellow, 39′), Mandzukic (Yellow, 58′), Vrsaljko (Yellow, 67′), Brozovic (Yellow, 90+4′)
- Argentina: Mercado (Yellow, 51′), Otamendi (Yellow, 85′), Acuña (Yellow, 87′)
- Croatia’s Marcelo Brozovic will be suspended for their next match against Iceland due to yellow card accumulation.
The Croatians absolutely stunned the Argentinians in an absolute blowout to secure their spot in the Round of 16 for the first time since the 1998 World Cup. Argentina led in possession, but Croatia had 50% more shots than Argentina, and their opportunities were much stronger overall. The biggest concern for Croatia moving forward, however, should be fouls after receiving four yellow cards in this match. Yellow card accumulation suspensions could come back to haunt them, and already has hurt them to an extent with the suspension of Brozovic.
Group Standings after These Matches
Green: Clinched Spot in Round of 16
Red: Eliminated from World Cup Contention
- France – 6 points (GD: 2)
- Denmark – 4 points (GD: 1)
- Australia – 1 point (GD: -1)
- Peru – 0 points (GD: -2)
- Croatia – 6 points (GD: 5)
- Iceland* – 1 point (GD: 0)
- Argentina – 1 point (GD: 0)
- Nigeria* – 0 points (GD: -2)
*Does not account for Iceland and Nigeria’s second game, which took place on 6/22.