Terps pull off giant comeback to beat Minnesota

For Maryland this year, there has been one thing that has held them back from getting back to the top five, the slow starts. Something that Maryland fans have become accustomed too since Mark Turgeon took over as head coach. This time, the Terps had to come back from down by 14 points with under ten minutes left in the game.

Coming into the game, there was one major aspect to this game that many were looking forward too. The match up between two of the best big men in not just the Big Ten but in the country, Maryland’s Jalen Smith and Minnesota’s Daniel Oturu. However, early in the game, Smith got into foul trouble causing him to need to sit out a majority of the first half and only playing 24 minutes in the whole game.

In the back court for the Terps, Anthony Cowan Jr had one of his worst games of the season. Cowan went 0-8 from three, only the 5th time all season he hasn’t hit at least one three pointer all game. Cowan didn’t just struggle from deep, going 2-15 but scoring 10 points in total as he went 6-6 from the free throw line.

With their two stars struggling the Terps needed someone to step up and the man who did was Sophmore Aaron Wiggins. Wiggins scored 16, shooting 75%, while playing 28 minutes.

After a one sided first half with Minnesota going into the break up 47-31 the Terps needed a miracle to pull off a win. To start the second half, it didn’t look like one was coming, however, with around nine minutes left in the game something started to click for the Terps.

They went on a 10-0 run in less than three minutes to move within four points Minnesota. From here, things were deadlocked with both teams going back and forth keeping the Terps within 10 points. With two minutes left, down by eight, Maryland’s offense exploded bringing them within three points of Minnesota with 46 seconds left in the game. With 18 seconds remaining Jalen Smith brought the game within two scoring a put back dunk. Then, Maryland needed to foul and pray that Minnesota was going to miss their free throws.

Their prayers to the basketball gods were answered. Gabe Kalscheur the Minnesota Sophmore guard missed the front end of his 1-1 to give the Terps the ball back with just 12 second remaining. Down by 2 with 12 seconds left you would expect Anthony Cowan to get the ball and he did. However, he had no shot causing him to give the ball up. The ball eventually found the hands of Darryl Morsell who knocked down the game winning three with just one second left. Minnesota was unable to do anything with their one second, and the Terps won 74-73.

Please follow and like us:

You may also like...

Follow by Email