U.S. Open Picks
It is time for one of my favorite tournaments of the season, the U.S. Open and this year it is at Pebble Beach. All of the big guns are out for this tournament and it should be one of the best tournaments that we have seen all season long. Phil Mickelson it looking for his first U.S. Open championship while Tiger Woods is looking to do what he did back in 2002. But there are many players to look out for this week. The young players are looking to put their name in history with a U.S. Open victory while same players are still looking for their first victory. This week the key to a victory it going to be driving accuracy and shot management. Also the greens this week will show us who is at the top of their game. So with that said here are my picks for this week:
1. Bo Van Pelt: he has the best driving accuracy on tour this year and if he can continue to drive the ball well then he will be at the top of the leader board on Sunday. But if he is not able to make putts like he has done in the past weeks then we will have a long week.
2. Tiger Woods: he is still the best golfer in the world and when it is time for a big tournament, Tiger will show up and play like the Tiger we are use to seeing. The only question with Tiger is if he is going to bet himself. With no swing coach, it is all on Tiger this week.
3. Phil Mickelson: he is still looking for his first U.S. Open championship and coming into this week, he is playing very well. He is hitting his irons well but he is going to need to have good tee shots this week and make the easy putts that he has not been able to do in the past. The weather should not be a problem this week, so Phil will need to belt down and not let this course bet him again.
4. Lee Westwood: he is coming off a big wins of his career after winning after winng a playoff, the only question is can he continue his hot play. If he can then I don’t see any reason why he will not be in the top 5 this weekend. But he is going to need to putt better then he did last week because these greens are going to be some of the fastest greens that he has seen all year.
5. Rory McIlroy: he has been playing average golf since his first American victory, but it is time for him to snap out of that first victory and look for another one. He is going to be one of the better ball strikers this week and if he can play smart and not try to do too much on the first two days then I believe on the weekend he will make a push for the leader board but he is going to need to trust his shots and not force shots like he has done over the last few weeks.
Adam Scott: he is always a player to watch when the big tournaments are around. We all know that he can make some great shots, but he is going to need to make a lot of them if he wants a chance to win this week.
Ricky Barnes: he is one of the young guys that can turn a lot of heads this week. With his ball striking ability, he will have a lot of good looks for birdie this week but the question is going to be the putting like it is going to be for a lot of players. But Barnes can make some noise if he plays inside of himself and not try to please the fans with big risky shots.
Those are my picks for this week, let me know what your picks are?