After a few days to reflect (so I do not seem biased) I am giving my Ravens report card. Here is the report card for the Baltimore Ravens vs. New York Jets game.
1. Joe Flacco: B I give Flacco a solid B for his performance Monday night. His quarterback rating may not have been spectacular but he was a quarterback in a hostile enviroment playing against one of the best defenses in the league. When the running game was shut down, Flacco was able to throw effectively against the self-proclaimed best secondary in the league.
2. Running backs: C- The running backs were a major disappointment. Ray Rice looked like he was about to break a long run several times but was never able to break free. Willis McGahee fumbled but redeemed himself by scoring a touchdown.
3. Wide Receivers: A+ Remember when the wide receiver core was one of the weaknesses of the team? That’s not the case anymore, as Anquan Boldin shined in his Ravens debut.
3. Tight ends: A Todd Heap was dominant. Ed Dickson played well and Dennis Pitta also got some solid playing time when Heap went out hurt.
4. Offensive line: C+ They blocked the pass well but they were outmatched when it came to run blocking.
5. Defense: A++++ Okay usually I break down the defense by group but when they are that dominant it’s hard to say anything besides awesome all around. Every group was awesome, completely shutting down the Jets. Ray Lewis was at his best.
6. Special teams: D The return game was disappointing and the punt coverage was not that hot. I do think the refs missed a block in the back on David Reed on Jim Leonhard’s big punt return.