No. 8 Maryland can make some heads turn come March
As the season is winding down, and preparing for the Big Ten tournament, and March Madness. Maryland Women’s basketball this season has by far exceeded many expectations and quieted many doubters.
Many thought after this past offseason with some key players transferring and graduating had one question on their mind. How would Maryland respond to the adversity?
Credit the coaching staff but give flowers to head coach Brenda Frese for the amount of criticism that she received from many in the aftermath of the transfers, and a Washington Post article. Coach Frese and her staff have tons of credit for not only retooling but more importantly defining Maryland basketball.
With four games left of the season, Maryland can make heads turn come March and the Big Tournament. This article will focus on the last three games for Maryland going 3-1 so far in the month of February.
- Maryland took a punch to the mouth against Caitlin Clark and Iowa but did not go down
Maryland did lose 96-82 to Iowa however if you take away the slow start Maryland proved that they can hang with Iowa which has proven this season that at times can struggle to close games.
By looks of it, Maryland is still learning their chemistry but shooting 7 of 24 is not going to win basketball games. With a stagnant offense and Caitlin Clark creating defensive nightmares Maryland could not find any answers.
Other than Diamond, Shyanne, and Abby there is little to no help offensively, and that is not going to help Maryland come March or even the Big Ten Tournament.
2. Maryland responded well with a huge home win against Ohio State
Rebounding from a tough loss Maryland defeated Ohio State 90-54 was by far the best win for Maryland this season. The largest win against a top-10 opponent was huge for the program. The home crowd can with huge energy in that game which felt like a march madness game. A lot of improvements on both sides of the ball showed improvements from Iowa.
3. The wins against Northwestern and Illinois gave results of improvement
Northwestern and Illinois are two different teams but there were positives and negatives.
- Other than Diamond Miller, and Shy Sellers. How can the offense find a way to get the others involved?
- How can we get a better reading on the freshmen?
- Who is the 3rd option?
- 3 point shooting at times becomes an enemy
- The rise of Bri Mcdaniel
- With a tough road trip, the Terps persevered
- Diamond Miller continues to prove her worth on a WNBA team (Washington Mystics)
- Maryland’s defense is not worth sleeping while chemistry is at its peak
In closing, Maryland can surprise many come March even going into this game against Michigan State. Maryland is ready to embrace the challenge come March and for the Big Ten Tournament with a double bye. Give Coach Freese the moves she made this past offseason. This is now where the Maryland Terrapins can truly define their #LegUSy.