FIFA World Cup 6/26 Recap
Tuesday saw the close of Groups C and D. Here’s what happened.
Denmark 0, France 0
- Denmark: N/A
- France: N/A
- Denmark: Zanka (Yellow, 45+3′)
- France: None
The first scoreless match of the 2018 World Cup so far turned out perfectly for both squads, who will officially be moving on to the Round of 16 with their draw. France felt in control for most of the match, and won the possession battle (62%) and the shots battle (11-5). The French finished atop the group, allowing them to face the runner-up from Group D, while Denmark will have to face the Group D champion in the knockout round.
Peru 2, Australia 0
- Peru: Carrillo (18′), Guerrero (50′)
- Australia: N/A
- Peru: Yotún (Yellow, 45′), Hurtado (Yellow, 79′)
- Australia: Jedinak (Yellow, 10′), Arzani (Yellow, 60′), Rogic (Yellow, 66′), Milligan (Yellow, 88′)
Going into this match, Peru no longer had a dog in the fight, but that didn’t stop them from giving it their all and attempting to play spoiler for an Australia squad that still had a shot at qualification going into the final match. Unfortunately for the Aussies, they were unable to ever put anything together, despite out-possessing Peru 53% to 47% and HEAVILY out-shooting Peru 14-4. In the end, both teams will be on the next plane out of Russia following a disappointing group round.
Argentina 2, Nigeria 1
- Argentina: Messi (14′), Rojo (86′)
- Nigeria: Moses (PK, 51′)
- Argentina: Mascherano (Yellow, 49′), Banega (Yellow, 64′), Messi (Yellow, 90+4′)
- Nigeria: Balogun (Yellow, 32′) Obi Mikel (Yellow, 90+1′)
After a rough first two group round matches, Lionel Messi silenced the haters, at least for now, with an early beautiful touch that ended up in the back of the net which helped set the pace for the first half. Nigeria had several decent opportunities after scoring on a penalty kick by Victor Moses early in the second half, but were unable to capitalize again, allowing Marcos Rojo to score the game winning goal just four minutes before stoppage time began, ending Nigeria’s time at the World Cup, and sending Argentina through. to play the Group C champion.
Croatia 2, Iceland 1
- Croatia: Badelj (53′), Perisic (90′)
- Iceland: Sigurdsson (PK, 76′)
- Croatia: Pjaca (Yellow, 14′), Jedvaj (Yellow, 83′)
- Iceland: Hallfredsson (Yellow, 59′), Finnbogason (Yellow, 64′), Saevarsson (Yellow, 84′)
It took them until the second half to get things rolling, but Croatia was able to get the win to secure their spot on top of the group, finishing with a perfect 3-0 record. Iceland got off more shots (17-13), but Croatia maintained 59% of the possession and felt in control of the game, ending everyone’s favorite Cinderella team’s slim chances at qualification. Croatia will play the Group C runner-up as the top seed from Group D.
Final Standings from These Groups
- France – 7 points (GD: 2)
- Denmark – 5 points (GD: 1)
- Peru – 3 points (GD: 0)
- Australia – 1 point (GD: -3)
- Croatia – 9 points (GD: 6)
- Argentina – 4 points (GD: -2)
- Nigeria – 3 points (GD: -1)
- Iceland – 1 point (GD: -3)
Matches on 6/27
South Korea vs. Germany – Group F (10:00am Eastern)
Mexico vs. Sweden – Group F (10:00am Eastern)
Serbia vs. Brazil – Group E (2:00pm Eastern)
Switzerland vs. Costa Rica (2:00pm Eastern)