College Football Preview: Navy (3-8) at Tulane (5-6)
Navy Midshipmen (3-8, 2-5 AAC) at Tulane Green Wave (5-6, 4-3 AAC)
Nov. 24, 2018; 12:00 pm ET
Yulman Stadium, New Orleans, LA
The Navy Midshipmen travel to New Orleans Saturday afternoon to face the Tulane Green Wave.
Coming off last week’s win against Tulsa which broke up a seven-game losing streak, Navy looks to build momentum heading into the Army game on Dec. 8. After winning three straight, Tulane lost last week to Houston. Head coach Willie Fritz’s team will be playing for bowl eligibility in their final regular game of the season.
Here’s a look at how the teams match up in the numbers.
Points per Game: NAVY: 26.1… Tulane: 25.4
Rushing Yards per Game: NAVY: 304.1… Tulane: 215.5
Passing Yards per Game: NAVY: 60.2… Tulane: 176.5
Total Offense per Game: NAVY: 364.3… Tulane: 392.0
Penalties/Penalty Yards per Game: NAVY: 41/31.8 yards… Tulane: 85/70.9 yards
Time of Possession: NAVY: 34:10… Tulane: 31:55
1.) Malcolm Perry (1,027)
2.) Nelson Smith (367)
1.) Darius Bradwell (918)
2.) Corey Dauphine (740)
1.) Garret Lewis (398)
2.) Malcolm Perry (185)
1.) Jonathan Banks (1,074)
2.) Justin McMillan (868)
1.) Taylor Jackson (198)
2.) CJ Williams (163)
1.) Darnell Mooney (852)
2.) Terren Encalade (599)
Tulane Players to Watch
• Darius Bradwell (RB): Tulane’s leading rusher, Bradwell’s 151 carries have netted Tulane 918 yards and nine TDs.
• Corey Dauphine (RB): Ranking 14th in the nation in average yards per carry (6.7), Dauphine has seven TDs and 740 yards off of his 110 carries.
• Darnell Mooney (WR): Seventh in the country in yards per catch (20.29), Mooney has 42 catches for 852 yards and seven TDs this year.
• Terrence Encalade (WR): Encalade has turned his 34 catches into 599 yards and four TDs for the Green Wave this season.
• Patrick Johnson (DE): Ranking 13th in the nation in sacks with nine, Johnson also has 13.5 tackles for loss and two forced fumbles.
• Zachery Harris (LB): Tulane’s leading tackler, Harris has 77 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss on the season.
• Donnie Lewis Jr. (CB): Third in the country with 16 passes broken up, Lewis also has three INTs to his credit.
• Amare Jones (RB): As a kickoff returner, Jones ranks sixth in the nation in average yards per return (29.6).
Keys to a Navy Win
1.) Repeat. Take what the Mids did against Tulsa last week and do it again. Yes, it can be that simple.
2.) Look ahead. Remember Army awaits. Riding a two-game winning streak into Philadelphia may be invaluable against the Black Knights.